Saturday, July 14, 2012

Instagram

Another brief post about technology that I don't understand.  Instragram.
The blurb from the website says:


"It’s a fastbeautiful and fun way to share your photos with friends and family.
Snap a picture, choose a filter to transform its look and feel, then post to Instagram. Share to Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr too – it's as easy as pie. It's photo sharing, reinvented.
Oh yeah, did we mention it’s free?"


Sounds cool, I guess, though nothing particularly spectacular. Taking photos is nothing new, nor is sharing them on social media. The things that makes Instagram different is these 'filters', which can change how the image looks (see image). The issue I have with Instagram, is that, from the photos I've seen, the filters just don't look that good. They generally appear to be low quality and not particularly interesting or eye-catching. There are four possible reasons for this:

1. I have been unlucky in seeing many of the minority of pictures taken with Instagram that don't look very good. Statistically unlikely.
2. The people whose Instagram pictures I see are bad photographers or bad at using Instagram. From what I know of these people, not true.
3. Instagram is genuinely rubbish. Given its popularity and that it doesn't seem to be just a fad, incorrect.
4. The quality of phone cameras is not sufficient to produce good quality photos through Instagram. This seems the most plausible.

I had a quick look at Instagram images on Google. There are, admittedly, some decent pictures on there. But still plenty that look poor, or at best, very average.

It occurs to me that there may be a fifth reason.  Perhaps I just don't get it.  Perhaps Instagram really is a good program, that produces good quality and interesting pictures, but I just can't see it.  I'll be the first to admit to not being arty or creative in that way, so maybe I just can't appreciate the photos that Instagram produces.  Is this the reason?

No comments: