Friday, December 31, 2010

Soundtrack of 2010

Following my soundtracks of 2008 and 2009, here is 2010.  It's a shorter list than normal, I'm not sure why.  Links go to Youtube videos.  Alternatively, search Spotify.

Anberlin - Dismantle.Repair
Classic Anberlin - quality rock music and lyrics with depth.  The drums alone are excellent, but the vocals and guitars complement them and each other perfectly.  The relentless repetition of the chorus from 3.15 onwards is brutal and inspiring.  D.R links wonderfully with 'Fin', the following track on the album.

Athlete - In between 2 states
This track has no lyrics so it is unexpected that it draws my attention so strongly.  For some reason, this song just got inside my head this year.  It's the best instrumental opening track to an album that I know of.  I only wish it lasted longer!

Athlete - Rubik's Cube
What excellent imagery (listen to it and you'll understand)!  Genuinely superb.  Very clever, and the song builds brilliantly.  A song you can lose yourself in.  A high point of the Black Swan album.

Evanescence - My Immortal
An old song, but wow.  The simple piano, the famously haunting vocals, the subtle build through the bridge, and *that* crash at 3.04 - the best musical explosion ever?  Certainly a contender I think.  This song not only made my soundtrack of the year, but also entered my 'contenders for greatest song of all time' list.

Hurts - Devotion
This song makes the list because I think it is the only song I've ever heard that treats lust as a problem to be dealt with.  A refreshing change from most popular music.  It also has an interesting (and I think very wise) idea of how to battle it.  Big respect to Hurts for this one.

Jesus Culture - Your love never fails
Jesus Culture both inspire and annoy me, but this song definitely falls into the 'inspire' category.  Musically and lyrically it does everything that Jesus Culture do best.  As a congregational song it could work but would be tricky, but as a standard piece of Christian rock worship, it is exemplary.

Muse - Invincible
Yes, I know you know who Muse are and I know you know this song.  It's one of their most famous.  But I just love the unabashed positivity.  It brings a nice change from Muse's usual mood.  It has the upbeat optimism of cheesy pop, but without any of the cheesiness or poppiness.  A great example of Muse's quality.

Muse - Map of the problematique
Very different from Invincible, but no less excellent.  Musically, possibly my favourite ever Muse song.  It is not possible for me to not get excited about this song.  The beat, the drive, the riffs, all of it.  And at 2.18, an incredible moment of music.

Sixpence none the richer - Still Burning - sorry for the lame video, it was the only one I could find!
Lovely, just lovely.  I struggle to find other words.  Beautiful song.  I won't try to preach from it at the moment, but one day I might.

Sixpence none the richer - Tension is a passing note - video is a cover but an ok one
What an interesting idea...'tension is to be loved when it is like a passing not to a beautiful chord'.  This song never ceases to make me think.

StrangeDay - Wonderful - no video available
A wonderfully positive song.  Fun, catchy, upbeat, great melody, and a really good message.  Unfortunately you can't hear it, but trust me, it's a great song.

No comments: