Friday, February 20, 2009

Church of the X-Men


I just finished watching the X-men trilogy, one of my half term’s activities. I’ve seen the first two films many times before, but X3 only once, at the cinema. My initial thoughts about film 3 were that it was weaker than the first two – a weaker script and poorly constructed plot. Now I don’t think it’s so bad. Storm has a couple of cheesy lines, Vinnie Jones should be banned from acting, and the plot is to rushed and short. But other than that, it’s a good film. The action is superb, the tone is exciting and tense, and the characters all perform as before.

Overall, I love the trilogy. I don’t generally like superhero films (Batman Begins and Dark Knight the main exceptions), but X-Men seems very different. It’s less cheesy than most superhero films, and certainly the second film has a much more interesting plot. Also, the X-men films don’t focus on one main character – they have several (Wolverine, Storm, Professor X, Magneto, Rogue, Jean, Pyro, Iceman etc) – this makes everything more interesting because as well as the story and fights, you get a lot of character interaction and background. I love how the X-men operate as a team as well, using their various powers in combination.

It’s a bit like the church. The ‘body of Christ’ and all that. Each person using their powers to help the others, and everyone depending on everyone else, covering each others backs. But, just like the church, in parts of the trilogy the mutants work against each other and hinder each other. What a bunch of idiots.

I’m not going any deeper than that at the moment. Just thought it was an interesting parallel.

No comments: