Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Music Difficulties

I have realised that it is becoming more and more difficult for me to keep up with new music.  Over the last 4 years I have created a soundtrack of the year, and each year the list is becoming longer.  I seem to be buying more and more new albums each year.  Last year it was 21.  This year it is already 12, and we're still in March.
The root of this problem is that I am getting old, so not something I can do much about.  Because I discover new bands every year, there are more bands that I know about every year.  I rarely 'unfollow' bands, so each year there are more albums released that I want to own then ever before, as many bands I follow bring out new albums, and there are new bands to discover too..  I am starting to find that I don't have time to follow everyone.
Occasionally bands disband (see what I did there?) but for the most part, the list of people whose music I want just keeps expanding.  The fact that I'm both loyal and a completionist doesn't help.
There is no easy solution to this.  I could be more ruthless about whose music I buy, but I wouldn't know where to start in deciding who to cut out.  This is starting to worry me.  There are plenty of bands I really like and whose music I want to keep buying, but I also love discovering new artists.  It seems I have a dilemma on my hands.

No comments: