Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Rob Bell – Sex God


In case you’re wondering, Sex God refers to a book by Rob Bell. It’s about 2 things: sex and God (and spirituality and marriage etc.). Most of it is quite good, but there was one thing I thought was crazy and one thing that was brilliant.

The crazy thing.
He bases the book on his idea that sexuality is our awareness of our disconnection (from God, each other, the world) and all the ways we go about trying to reconnect. Therefore, according to Bell, all human interaction and relationship is sexuality. I just don’t buy that. He say it comes from the fact that sex is from the Latin secare, meaning to sever or disconnect. Maybe the word does have this etymology, but to infer fro this that all relationships are about sexuality is going a bit far I think.
I would be happy to say that our sexuality is one way we try to go about reconnecting with people, but not all our interactions are sexual. I am a Sally, not a Harry.

The brilliant thing.
Bell describes the covenant between God and Israel and parallels it with the covenant between a husband and wife. He covers intimacy, commitment, rules, celebration and exclusivity. It is easily the best writing I have ever read on marriage and sex. This chapter (chapter 7) alone makes the book worth the price. It’s just awesome, and it’s probably the one bit of the book I’ll re-read again and again.

The rest of the book was good. Not earth-shattering, but well worth the read. Amazon has it for £5.24, or you can borrow it from me for free.

No comments: