Thursday, June 17, 2010

Preaching > setup?

I've preached twice at my church.  Both times, I have received lots of positive comments from people, both in person and by text, thanking me for what I said and encouraging me.
I also lead a setup team at church, working for an average of between 1 and 2 hours each Sunday.  I hardly ever get encouragement for this work.
This is not me complaining about not being encouraged in setup stuff - I do it because it needs doing, I enjoy it and I'm good at it.  But I am aware that the work that the setup leaders and setup teams do at my church is very overlooked compared to the 'up-front' stuff like preaching or leading worship.  I think it's a shame that people put so much emphasis on something like preaching compared to something like setup, as if preaching was more important or more difficult than setup.

3 comments:

Elliespeaks said...

I totally agree! We should be encouraging people who do all the 'behind-the-scenes' sort of jobs in the same way we would a preacher or worship leader. AND YAY YOU BLOGGED!

James Doc said...

Better than the tech team though... the tech team only get shouted at if something goes wrong.

Phil Trainer said...

Jiggily, you know I worship you as the God of Set-up!